Italian Wedding Toasts
An Italian wedding reception is a joyous and boisterous celebration.
Evviva Gli Sposi is only one of the many Italian wedding toasts that can be heard when there is a lull during the reception.
The Italian culture is steeped in traditions and an Italian wedding is no exception.
An Italian wedding begins and ends with traditions.
During the wedding reception, one tradition that is enjoyed by all is that of toasting the newlyweds. During the reception guests are encouraged to shout out blessings and sayings.
Even before the reception dinner begins, the best man
will serve sweet liquor and other strong drinks to the guests. This tradition
allows the guests a chance to begin toasting the newly married couple.
During the reception, each member of the wedding party and all guests may give a toast to honor the newlyweds. Each toast is then followed by loud applauds and cheers.
Italian Wedding Toasts and Blessings
Below are a few of the more popular Italian toasts and blessings.
- Viva L'amor! - The English translation is "Long live love!"
- L'amore e per sempre or L'amore e eterna - The English translation is "Love is Forever!"
- Amore e gelosia nacquero insieme - The English translation is "Without jealousy there is no love."
- Per cent'anni! - The English translation is "For one hundred
years!" This Italian wedding blessing is often shouted by the guests to
salute the happy couple prior to the reception dinner.
- Evviva Gli Sposi - The English translation is "Long live the
newlyweds!" or "Hurray to the newlyweds!". This Italian toast is often
shouted out whenever there may be a lull in the festivities.
- Un Bacio Per La Sposa - The English translation is "Kiss for the
bride". When this Italian toast is shouted, the bride and groom must
stand and show their affections for each other in front of all the
- Auguri e figli maschi! - The English translation is "Congratulations and may you have male children!"
- Aguri! - The English translation is "Best Wishes!"
- Alla tua salute! - The English translation is "To your health!"
Blessings and Poems
- Ci sono tre cose belle della vita: la naseita, l'amore equesto giorno - The English translation is "There are three beautiful things in life: birth, love and this day."
- Spice a dish with love and it pleases every palate. (Plautus)
Hopefully, you will be able to use one of these toasts at the next Italian wedding reception that you attend.
Return to the top of Italian Wedding Toasts.
You Are Here: » Younique Wedding Ideas Home » Free Wedding Toast » Italian Wedding Toasts