How to Make Kissing Balls
Learning how to make kissing balls is a very simple do it yourself project that can save you money on your wedding decorations.
Use Them As Part Of Your Decorations
The balls can be used as decorations during the ceremony and reception.
For example, in the church hang them from the pews with pew hangers or hooks. At the reception tie them to the back of the chairs.
If the wedding or reception is held outside, tie the kissing balls to trees or use pot hooks to hang them on and use them to help designate your aisle.
For Your Flower Girl
You can also make a kissing ball for the flower girl or for your bridesmaids to carry down the aisle.
How To Make Kissing Balls
directions that are given below are for kissing balls made with silk flowers.
By using silk
flowers, you can assemble the kissing balls any time before the wedding.
Fresh flowers can be used for this project. However, the
downside is that the kissing balls will need to be made the night before
the wedding to stay fresh.
So, if you have very many balls to make, using fresh flowers can
make the project pretty stressful! You will definitely need help.
MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED
You will need the following materials for your kissing balls:
- 5 inch Styrofoam ball (they come in green and white)
- 2 to 3 Stems/sprays of silk flowers
- 1/2 inch wide matching ribbon
- 10 x 12 inch piece of matching material
- Glue gun with glue stick
- Clear glue - such as Fabri-Tac
Making The Ball
To begin making your ball:
- Take a pencil and push it all the way through the styrofoam ball. This will make a hole for you to thread the ribbon through.
- Cut the ribbon to the length that you want. You can leave streamers at the bottom of the ball or you can have only the loop at the top - the loop is used to hang or carry the ball.
- Push the ribbon through the hole made by the pencil. You can attach a needle or small safety pen to the ribbon and drop it through the hole.
- If you are not going to have streamers at the bottom of the ball, then glue about a half inch of the ribbon ends to the ball at the bottom hole. Put hot glue around the top and bottom hole to keep the ribbon in place.
- If you are leaving streamers to hang at the bottom, once you have the desired length, put hot glue in the top and bottom holes to hold the ribbon in place.
- Cover the ball with matching material or ribbon. The material helps to blend your flowers and keeps the white or green of the styrofoam ball from showing through.
- Cut the silk flowers from the large branch. You may need to use wire cutters, depending on the type of flowers you bought. Be sure to keep the small stems on the flower to push into the styrofoam.
- Glue the flowers to the ball, until it is completely covered. Fabric-Tac glue works best for this part of the project. If you kept the stems on the flowers, put glue on the end of the stem and poke it into the styrofoam.
You now have a kissing ball for your wedding!
Here is a video that may be helpful in making your kissing balls.
Use Your Imagination For Unique Floral Balls
Let your imagination run wild with this diy wedding project.
- By using different shades of the same color flowers you can add different depths to the ball.
- You can mix and match colors to match your wedding color scheme
- You can add two different colored ribbons or you can vary the length of the ribbons.
The ideas are endless!
Return to the top of How To Make Kissing Balls.
You Are Here:
» Younique Wedding Ideas Home
» Wedding Crafts
» How To Make Kissing Balls